Typically, you should respectfully decline to speak to the police. Merely tell the officer that “you would prefer not to talk to them” or “you have been advised to speak with them”. Most criminal defendants do the most damage to their defense by speaking with the police. They typically do not “talk their way out of the charges”. Officers are professionally trained to ask questions and get you to admit to elements of the crime. Also, what you say to them can and will be used against you even if it is not in writing or recorded. There is no “off the record” conversations.

If the police contact you about a crime, you need a Grand Rapids Criminal Defense Attorney. Remember to call Krupp Law Offices PC for fast honest advice about your criminal problems and an explanation about your options. Krupp Law Offices represents clients in cases throughout West Michigan, including the cities of Grand Rapids, Big Rapids, Ionia, Grand Haven, Stanton, Greenville, Wayland, Allegan, Holland, Newaygo, White Cloud, Fremont, Coopersville, Hastings, Middleville, Wyoming, and Rockford, including Kent County, Ottawa County, Newaygo County, Ionia County, Mecosta County, Barry County, Montcalm County, and Allegan County, Michigan.

Call for a free phone consultation. Our office can help.


Other Criminal Law Topics